Horndean FC
Horndean FC
The Deans'

First Team 4 - 2 Petersfield Town

Home | 13 January 2018 | Attendance: 105


 Report by Graeme Moir

Horndean 4 Petersfield Town 2: Horndean won the East Hampshire derby on Saturday – but only after surviving a second half scare from Petersfield.

The Deans raced to an easy 3-0 lead after only 16 minutes and looked on course to inflict a heavy defeat on the division’s bottom side.

The Rams showed better resilience in what became a scrappy second half but just as it looked like they had set up a grandstand finish by snatching two goals back, the home side scored again to maintain a comfortable advantage over the visitors.

Petersfield almost made the perfect start by going close to scoring down the hill in the opening minute of the match.

The ball was played forward from midfield to Billy Connor who was just inside the penalty area. He had the space to turn and shoot and keeper Lloyd Thomas had to tip the ball away from going in the top corner.

However, Horndean took advantage of a period of woeful Petersfield defending to take the lead on four minutes. The home side broke down the right and a cross to the near post found Tyler Moret, who laid the ball off to Miles Everett who smashed home his shot from close range.

At the other end Petersfield had a half chance when their corner was half cleared to the edge of the box but Harry Tremlett’s shot from 25 yards out had no power on it and it rolled straight into Thomas’ arms.

Horndean doubled their lead on 12 minutes when a former Petersfield player came back to haunt his old club. A free kick from their own half was floated up into the penalty area by the Deans and Moret was allowed to chest the ball down and play it into the path of Danny Boyle, who shot home from close range.

There was an ominous feel to the afternoon for Petersfield when the home side got their third goal four minutes later. Horndean broke down the right wing again and the perfect cross across the face of goal was met by Josh Maloney for a simple tap in at the far post.

The visitors managed to get to half time without conceding again and Luke Kendall tested Thomas with a shot from 25 yards out which avoided the keeper’s full length dive to his left but also went just the wrong side of the post.

Petersfield pulled a goal back on 53 minutes when a free kick was floated inside the box. Josh Wycherley managed to get between two defenders to head the ball towards goal and Thomas got a hand to it to push the ball against the post and the rebound hit him and then the post again.

The ball was eventually clawed off the line and then hacked away but the linesman signalled that the ball had crossed the line and the goal was awarded.

On 62 minutes Kendall’s cross into the box was partially cleared and when it was played in again Wycherley managed to knock the ball on into the path of Connor but he lost his bearings on shooting and dragged his effort well wide of the target.

It was 3-2 five minutes later when Benny Reed sent Connor tumbling as he burst into the penalty area and Kendall sent Thomas diving the wrong way with his spot kick.

Any hopes of a famous Petersfield comeback only lasted two minutes, however, when Everett picked up the ball on the halfway line and ran unchallenged to the edge of the penalty area.

His pass picked out Josh Maloney just inside the box and Rams keeper Luke Eaton could do nothing about the shot which flew into the top corner of the net.

Everett then hit the top of the crossbar with a shot from the edge of the box and at the other end, Gavin Keogh’s run was partially halted as he tried to pick his way past players in the penalty area and the ball ran to Kendall but his shot did not test the keeper.

Horndean went close again from a corner in the closing minutes when Dan Sackman’s header had to be cleared off the line.

Petersfield: Eaton, Gilbert, Kershaw, Tremlett, Wycherley, Plackett, Fagelman (Kennedy), Kendal, Connor, W Essai (Evans), Keogh. Subs not used: S Neal, Codling, Collins.

Updated 19:36 - 14 Jan 2018 by Graeme Moir